Thursday, September 08, 2005

Thursday, Thursday, Thursday...

Why can't you be Friday?

Today I feel like talking to myself on the net, along with anyone else that happens by; right now, I think that might be one or two other people.

Today is actually a good day so far. I've joined the digital music revolution, and have just started using the iPod I bought last week. My train ride into work was soooooo much better; I'm hooked.

Of course, thinking of how good my day is going immediately makes me think of people living in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and how crap things are for them, if they survived. I guess it will be that way for a while.

So, along with inane babble about my day, I guess I should also try putting somthing out there (here), even if there is a chance no one will read it. So, I'm going to start a feature which may end up drawing people to read this stinking blog...

Ok, here it is... The Controversial Question of the Day

Should people around the world contribute aid to the citizens of a wealthy first-world nation that has recently spent over 2 hundred billion (feel free to correct me on this guesstimate) US dollars on a war that most people around the world deemed illegal?

Ok, the obvious answer is "Yes, such aid is humanitarian and knows no boundaries." But come on... really?

Discuss. Comment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

I'll donate money to American disaster victims when the US donates the rest of the money they promised to Tsunami relief.

And pays their UN dues, so that the UN can get on with it's humanitarian efforts.

And signs the Kyoto accords.

Okay, I'm stretching it a bit with that last one.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Gord said...

Gentlemen
I respectfully dis-agree with much that has been said before, but that is not the question at hand.
My answer to the question posed is "Yes, of course we should help."
the reasoning behind this is the difference between "Government" and "People."
Yes, the Governement screwed up on this one, and I know I am putting it lightly. George Bush went fishing while Americans died and lost all they had. The director of FEMA is incompetant about anything outside of judging Arabian Horses. The Govener (sp)didn't call in the national guards until days after they were needed.
The Government, all levels of Government, were completely incompetant. that is the "Govenment."
But it is the people that need our help. The people didn't go fishing or fail to call in the National Guard, all they did was live in through a terrible event that ruined their lives. These are the one's who need our help. To not give to the "people" because of the "Government" is wrong, just wrong.
When this is over the Government will get theirs, but let's try and look past them for a moment and think about the people.
BTW: I completely agree with Kanye West, for whatever that matters.

Gord

2:53 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

For the sake of anyone who should stumble accross this in the future, it should be noted that my wife and I contributed to the Red Cross relief efforts for New Orleans.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home