Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I'll miss Giant Book Sale

As I weave through my day, migrating to and from work on autopilot, there are occassionaly moments of change which catch my attention and remind me of the transience of things.

One such moment was when I noticed that the GIANT BOOK SALE store, located within the Eglinton Subway station, had closed.

I have never bought much from the store, although I did once find a perfect Christmas gift for a friend there by way of a really nice book on the Art of Discworld, a series which said friend had introduced me to.

I had always wondered what kept the store in business for the many years it was there. Walking by, there was always the same gentleman working in the store, which never seemed to be able to require (let alone support) additional staff.

There were never many patrons in the store, even at rush hours when it would be reasonable to expect they would be busiest. This is likely why the store is closing; the real question is what took it so long.

I'm not sure how long it did exist in that location, but it had been at least 9 years.

The mall in the TTC station is itself an odd hold over from an earlier era when Eglinton station was the end of the Yonge line, and a focal point for commuters. Placing retail units in the station then was a good idea.

Now, the stores in the Eglinton TTC station carry the depressing air of being on their last legs. Some clothing stores seem to be in perpetual sale mode. I'm not sure who buys or wears their clothes. Cinnabon and Second Cup alone seem to thrive, with the Great Canadian Baegel and Mmmmmmuffins bringing up second place status.

It can't help that potential customers need to spend a token, or use a pass, just to get to see what is for sale at these locations; this means that any potential customers are in-transit, and likely focused on reaching some other destination, and have little motivation to stop and shop.

Even when I did want to wander into the GIANT BOOK SALE (which was, after all, a discount book store), my visit was usually cut short by the sound of a subway arriving, hastening me down to the platform.

So today there is even less motivation to stop in Eglinton Satation. I watch and await the replacement of GIANT BOOK SALE, and wish them best of luck.

R.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home