Sunday, November 25, 2007

Patrik Storm from Umeå, Sweden is a jerk.

It had to be said.

I play chess on the web at a few different sites. One such site is called "It's Your Turn," and the idea is that you make a move in a game, and your opponent then has 28 hours to make their next move. What happen's if you don't move by the deadline? you default the game.

It's pretty straightforward. Most people who have been playing on the site understand that you have to check your moves at least once a day.

So the other day I go to check my status on the site, when I find that I've won by default both of the games I was playing in. Maybe it was because of US Thanksgiving, or something like that. Whatever the reason, it's happens, and so I just decide to go start a new game.

Then I check my messages, to find that I've received this vitriolic volly from one of my unfortunate competitors:

At first, a little dissappointing, but then it sunk in that this guy was calling me a cheater, and that pissed me off.

So I ask myself, who is this guy who is neglecting to make his moves and then sending me abusive messages, accusing me of cheating?

This brings me to one of the important messages I have to give to you, gentle reader; the internet isn't a big anonymous chatroom, it's more like a small community with lots more people in it. If you go and piss someone off from halfway around the world, they can then go and find out exactly who you are.

How much people can find out about you depends on a couple things a) how much information you directly or indirectly put out on the web, and b) how good the sleuth is.

I'm not much of a sleuth really, so I didn't find out too much on Patrik Storm from Umeå, Sweden:


Clubs / Affiliations:
SK Rockaden, Umeå, Sweden.


Education:
PD Biochemistry


Family / Pets:
Girlfriend and cat.


Favorite Foods:
Not food with strong spices, e.g. from India. It paralyzes the sensory system and make it hard to taste anything and it is uncomfortable.


Favorite Places to Travel:
...to sun and bathing, just relaxing and enjoying life with no responsibilities.


Favorite Quotes:
Chance favours the prepared mind (Louis Pasteur)


Gender:
Male


Goals in Life:
putting the pieces of the life puzzle together


Hobbies:
see Sports


Musical Interests:
All genres but not all in every genre.


Occupation:
Postdoc at Umeå University, Sweden; photosynthesis research.


Religion:
Science


Sports:
Mostly chess and swimming, though I like most sports and have practised many.


That's just what Patrik puts out for everyone to read about himself on the It's Your Turn site. He's also on Facebook. I signed up and gave him a poke.

Anyway, you get the point, hopefully.

Hey Patrik (any of his friends that may be reading this may want to pass the message along), send me an apology, and I'll remove this post, and then people who Google "Patrik Storm from Umeå, Sweden" won't find out you can be a bit of a jerk.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home