Friday, December 23, 2005

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year...

...until the shit hits the fan.

Here are my predictions for the upcomming year; they are most likely wrong, as I don't think I've ever made an accurate prediction before, but that doesn't stop me from trying:

1. Conservatives win a minority government in Canada, maybe even a majority. Oh well, After 13 years it was bound to happen. It can't be that bad (I hope).

2. The shit will hit the fan in the middle East. The president of Iran is doing his dead level best to wratchet up the tension with anti-Israeli statements. Meanwhile, in Q1 of 2006, the Israeli's will come to that fatefull moment where they decide if they should let one of their more hostile neighbours (Iran) develop the capacity for building nuclear weapons; the safe prediction there is that they will not, and that will mean a brief conflict will errupt between Iran and Israel this year. The only thing that will prevent this one will be the UN taking swift action and, never mind... oh shit.

3. George W. Bush to be impeached successfully. The irony here is that this is the prediction that should reasonably occur, but I already know it most likely will not. The citizens of the United States of America really won't care enough that their government is spying on them, because they are using the war on terror to justify it. Only 4 years after 9/11, enough of them are still freaked out enough that they will overlook the further erosion of their civil rights. All I can say is that the Conservative victory in Canada isn't looking so bad in comparison.

4. Pandemic. Another safe prediction; it's really just a question as to whether it occurs this year or sometime later. Indonesia is doing a particularly awful job of monitoring the progress of H5N1 within their borders, which means it will develop there unchecked. That's why they are my pick for where the real spread of the human variant will start to gain ground.

Those are my big four, and after the last three, the first one isn't looking nearly as bad as it felt when I was writing it. If I think of any more I'll add them. I'd be curious to hear any predictions you might have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Didn't you predict a pandemic last year?

syhuwewm

12:50 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I might have now that you mention it. Hey, If it doesn't go full bore this year, I'll predict it again for 2007; sooner or later I'm going to get this one right.


psiosasx

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home