Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Pictures on cardboard

Interesting article in the star on the Honus Wagner baseball card, tabacco card actually, because back in the day, baseball cards came with a pack of cigarettes instead of a stick of gum. Those were the days.


"The T206 Honus Wagner card has long been recognized as the most iconic, highly coveted and valuable object in the field of sports memorabilia," said Dan Imler, managing director of SCP Auctions.



Really? Well, maybe to a baseball card collector, or an American. Personally, I'd rather have back one of the Wayne Gretzky rookie cards I most certainly had in my collection at one time, which was subsequently lost to the raveges of time. I bet most Canadians would agree on that one. If any of us would prefer to have "the Honus," it would be for a quick turnaround for cash.


Alas, very few of the cards I collected survived my childhood. Those that did wound up in a binder about 10 years ago, but I don't think any of them are appreciating in value.





The Saddam Hussein card. When he was executed I briefly thought about this one. What a long strange trip, eh?







Then there's Brian. I think he can rightfully claim to be the first Canadian Prime Minister to get his picture on a collector card. I think Ken Dryden had some high hopes about supplanting him in that catagory. I'd still gladly trade this one for a Pierre Trudeau, Jean Cretien or a Paul Martin rookie card.





Colin Powell would of course go on to become the Secretary of State. Some would say his star has faded since leaving Foggy Bottom.








Donating Blood: If you're going to try to get a collectors card for blood, then you want to get your hands on a rare one, like AB-. This one is for O+, so it's not worth as much. Even though this card was from a collectors set for Desert Storm, the back of the card has a good message: "Donating blood is a safe, painless act of love for fellow human beings. During war or peace, volunteers are always needed to keep a supply of blood for the sick and injured. A few minutes a day can mean the difference between life and death for your friends, family or neighbours in an emergency. For information on donating, contact your local Red Cross or hospital." (In Canada, you can contact the Canadian Blood Services)



What can I say about these guys? The obvious stars of my collection. You'll notice that most of my hockey cards are from 1980 and beyond, with a couple from 1977 (and they survived only by miracle).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home