Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Let me be blunt

Last night I took my wife to see James Blunt at Massey Hall, as her Valentines day present.

Considering I normally wouldn't have gone to see this show, and don't really care much for JB's music, I was surprised that I enjoyed the show as much as I did, considering the flaw.

What was 'the flaw' you might ask?

Well, first, I have to say that I'm no expert in the realm of stage lighting. I have some very limited experience with being on stage in some community theatre and high school drama, and I've seen a handful of concerts over the years, mainly when I was young, and high.

Having said that, from last nights show I can only conclude that the lighting director for Mr. Blunts tour is either a) and idiot, or B) an Asshole, leaving room for C) Both.

Why? I'll get to it in a sec, first, I also have to say that I have seen just three shows at Massey Hall; Blue Rodeo, Jan Aarden (another with my wife), and last nights show. From this limited exposure to that hall, I have concluded (and again, I'm no expert) that Massey Hall is an excellent venue to see a musical performance. There is hardly a bad seat in the house, and the intimacy is unlike anything I've ever experienced, short of being in a bar. Last night we were located near the back of the Gallery, and I was still impressed with just how close we seemed to the stage.

Add to this, that the acoustics, at least to my ear, are also excellent; the net effect being that if there is any band worth seeing or listening to, let alone one of your favorite musicians, and they also happen to be playing at Massey Hall, then you would be well advised to check them out.

The only thing that could possibly spoil the event, would be a small, but powerful spot light, located at stage level (say, in the drummers riser, at foot level) pointing up into the audience, so as to blind anyone trying to watch said show.

Yep.

Sure, there was one brief moment for a portion of one song where this light was the only one, and Mr. Blunt stood at just the right spot on stage to create an effect akin to a solar eclipse, and that was interesting, but then he moved.

My wife and I discussed this annoyance as we were averting our eyes from the stage. Anj had a good theory: the light, and the others like it pointing to other parts of the audience, were meant to spoil any attempt to video record the concert.

I think the only thing that could make the positioning of that light more annoying to me is the thought that it could have been rigged that way on purpose.

Oh well. At least it wasn't a show I'd like to see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous said...

Man. How annoying. Is it a touring show? Off the top of my head, I would guess that James Blunt plays mostly smaller concert venues, like the Koolhaus, or RPM or whatever that place is called this week. The difference between those venues and a theatre space like Massey Hall is that there is no rake in the audience. In a concert-hall configuration, lights like the ones you describe would go right over the heads of most of the audience. It's only in Massey Hall or a place like it that the seats angle up, the way they do in sports stadiums or traditional theatres.

Just a guess. It could also just be really, really bad lighting design.

Billp

skofxg

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home